Napa Valley has got to be the ultimate weekend escape. Extraordinary natural beauty, world famous wineries, luxurious hospitality, and incredible farm-to-table food: Napa’s got it all. Along with our Weekender: Napa Valley Collection, we’re giving you our insider’s guide to the best spots to stay, eat, and taste. (We are sort of locals, so you can trust us…)
Where to Stay: Check in to Carneros Inn for the full luxury treatment: this compound hosts pools, a spa, and several restaurants with individual guesthouses overlooking the vineyards. If you’re looking for something more casual, the Napa River Inn boutique hotel is situated right on the river in downtown Napa.
Where to Eat: Oakville Grocery for artisan cheese, fresh local produce, and gourmet sandwiches and Gotts Roadside for juicy burgers and impossibly rich shakes gourmet snack shack-style.
I’ve been so lucky to have been surrounded by strong women my entire life. As I’ve gotten older, I’ve realized just how strong an impact these women (and the many other strong women in my life) have had on me. They have set the bar so high for me and for that I will be forever grateful. Here’s why it’s important to have strong women in your life:
1. They won’t lie to you just to spare your feelings. Strong women rarely sugarcoat advice just to make you feel better about a situation. They will always tell you the absolute truth, as hard or easy as it may be to swallow. You need ladies like this in your life who will not hesitate to give you honest advice, mostly because they’ve had tons of life experience and will be able to give you educated opinions.
2. They’ll encourage independence. When you’re dating an asshole who doesn’t appreciate you, strong women in your life will be the first to tell you to ditch him or her and find someone who appreciates you. Trust these ladies — they know all about your good qualities and want the best for you.
3. They’re not needy. When you have lunch with another friend, strong women won’t flip out about why they weren’t invited. They let you have your own life because they have their own life too. A little space goes a long way in any relationship.
4. When the going gets tough, these ladies get going. In a critical situation, strong women will rally around you and know just what to do and say to comfort you. Tough lady friends are tenacious when you can’t be. Usually they’ve been through a heap of issues in their own life, so they know exactly what to do in a crisis and their instinct to help will kick in.
5. They’ll always have your back. Strong women will protect you like no one else possibly could. They will be the first to jump in, the first to sound off, the first to defend you. They’re not the type to be silent if someone disses you.
6. They inspire you. These ladies will make you want to reach higher and dream bigger than you ever thought possible. You’ll never have to dumb yourself down or feel comfortable settling for mediocrity around them. They want the absolute best for you and will encourage you to go out and get it. They’ll help you reach your goals and will always support your endeavors.
7. They won’t ditch you. Strong women understand the importance of a balanced relationship. They know that having a boyfriend doesn’t signal the end of your friendship. They realize that having a career or being busy isn’t a real excuse for never spending time with you. Loyalty goes a long way when it comes to friendship and strong women are as dedicated as they come.
8. They’re your biggest cheerleaders. When you’re feeling down, they will do everything to make you feel better. When you don’t think you can accomplish a goal, they will rally around you and cheer you on until you make it.
9. They’ll help you bounce back. When low points in your life become a constant and you don’t feel like you’ll ever recover, these women will remind you how powerful and compelling you are. They’ll help you establish a new normal and their ability to be resilient will rub off on you.
10. They’re courageous in all the right ways. Strong lady friends will help instill bravery and adventurousness into your life. They are gallant and not afraid to try new things. They will help you grow and flourish into a person who is unabashed and confident and for that, we thank them.