Friday, April 19, 2013

Making New Habits!!


Growing up I was never really a fan of breakfast. Now I would say it's one of my favorite meals. I can't stress to you all how important it is to eat a healthy and sustaining meal for breakfast! This doesn't mean grabbing a pop tart on your way to school or work. It means setting time aside in the morning or the night before to prepare a nutritious breakfast. 
Here are some of my favorites:
Oatmeal
Eggs
Protein Shakes

Now I do understand that some mornings may not go as planned so I always try to have some back ups that I can grab and bring with me to work like yogurt, granola, fresh fruit & fiber bars. You want substance, this first meal is what is going to kick start your metabolism for the day. If you can try to keep back ups at work too.

Remember that even the healthiest things can become unhealthy by adding the wrong things. When I make oatmeal I buy it plain in bulk and I add in my own fruit and nuts. When you buy it packaged, it usually comes with artificial flavors. If you want it a little sweeter - try adding in some agave nectar or Truvia instead of cane & brown sugar. When you're making eggs try to make it one whole egg and 2 egg whites, it cuts down on calories and fat. Remember to add some color! Bell peppers, spinach and turkey are my favorite things to add. Now to my favorite, protein shakes!! You have to have a great base - almond, skim or 2% milk are the best. Then you need a good protein powder. I use BioTrust (milk chocolate & vanilla). Would you buy a diamond necklace from Wal-mart? No, you would buy it at Tiffany's. That goes for protein powder too - you want a quality product. That doesn't mean that you need to buy the most expensive kind. Do some research, find out the type you want and most of the time you can buy it online for cheaper that you can in a store. I prefer a slow time release protein that will keep you full longer. I always try to add some frozen fruit like blueberries, strawberries, peaches, raspberries, pineapple, blackberries, banana, mango & oranges.

Becoming healthy takes time, so try changing one or two habits at a time so that it doesn't become overwhelming.

                                       - Erica

No comments:

Post a Comment