Monday, September 30, 2013

Breaking Bad Habits

Hey everyone! So glad to have you back - I hope you all had a great weekend. I've been on a bit of a better mind, better heart, better life kick recently and I've been needing to conquer this for a while. This is in no way directed towards my favorite Upper East Siders.
 
THIS WHOLE GOSSIP THING...
 
I realize that we are women and it's kind of something that we were wired to do but it's not healthy. I'm sure that you've even noticed men don't do it, they don't condone it and don't want to be around it. I know, I know, It's not the easiest to remove from your life. Especially when your friends, neighbors, coworkers and family are all doing it. It's actually something that I decided a year or so ago I was going to stop doing. I lasted for a while but slowly started again. Why do we find it necessary to gab about other people's life's, information, problems and relationships? It's my opinion that we want to feel empowered. If you've ever gotten half way though a really funny story then stopped talking you know what I'm talking about. You leave people on the edge, they are excited sometimes even anxious to hear the end. That's exactly what gossip is. We brag about knowing juicy details of others and become "stronger" by spreading the information.
 
We want what we don't have and ultimately want others to have less than we do. The crazy part is that we were taught this; by our mothers, grandmothers, aunts and friends. It's something we witnessed, participated in and gradually started doing ourselves when we were younger. It wasn't their fault, they were taught as well. It's a cycle that will continue unless you intervene and break the habit. I've noticed recently some friends that have realized the nasty habit and have started taking action. If I'm around someone that starts gossiping or starts asking me about others I simply respond with, "I've decided that I don't want to gossip anymore." It was hard at first but now people know not to do it around me and I'm sure it's made them check themselves as well. Some of my friends that used to do it all o the time hardly do now. Take it a day at a time. Make decisions and take a stand. I know you can all do it.
 
 
                                                                      - Erica

No comments:

Post a Comment